3 tbsp coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small potato, diced
¼ cup + 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
4 cups no-chicken or vegetable broth (I made a quick broth with bouillon cubes)
½ cup unsweetened plain soy milk
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
2 cups chopped seitan chicken or favorite chicken substitute of choice
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 package vegan puff pastry
2 tbsp vegan butter, melted or aquafaba
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring constantly for 3 mins.
- Add carrots, celery, and potato and saute until tender, about 5-7 mins
- Add flour and mix well.
- Slowly whisk in the broth, then add soy milk and bay leaves and mix well.
- Bring the stew to a simmer and cook until thick, about 5 mins.
- Add peas and veggie chicken, and cook until heated through, roughly 5 mins.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the stew evenly between 4 lightly greased, oven-safe, soup bowls or ramekins.
- Roll out the dough and cut into 4 equal pieces. Place the dough over your bowl or ramekin and trim off the excess.
- Press the edges slightly.
- Brush the tops of the dough with melted vegan butter or aquafaba, and cut 1-3 slits in the top for venting.
- Place the bowls onto a baking sheet and bake until the pastry dough is golden brown, roughly 50 mins, check often to avoid burning.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve immediately.