I bake a lot of cakes at home but this is definitely the best chocolate cake recipe I’ve ever tried (and it’s vegan!). In true Friday the 13th style, I made mine inside a pumpkin for Halloween REALNESS, which would be great for parties but you can also use this recipe to make cupcakes or just a big giant chocolate slab cake! It’s a super easy to follow recipe and I hope you try it and let me know how it went 🎃
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE
You will need…
300ml soy milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
275g self raising flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g non-dairy spread
3 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp instant coffee granules
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (fan).
2. Stir the lemon juice into the milk and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and add cocoa powder, sugar and bicarbonate of soda. Mix together.
4. Melt together the butter, maple syrup and coffee granules in a pan over a medium heat.
5. Pour the milk mixture and melted spread mixture into the large mixing bowl and stir well until it becomes smooth.
IF MAKING CUPCAKES/SLAB CAKE:
1. Pour the batter into cupcake cases OR into a greased and lined baking tin.
2. Bake for 30 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).
3. Allow to cool and then ice & decorate however you like!
IF MAKING A PUMPKIN CAKE:
1. Carve out a 7″ diameter pumpkin, making sure the top is wide enough to scrape out the insides, remember to save the seeds to toast them later!
2. Wrap the pumpkin entirely in tin foil, except for the opening at the top.
3. Pour the batter inside the pumpkin, but do not overfill – leave about 1-2 inches at the top so it doesn’t overflow!
4. Once filled, place in the oven with the top of the pumpkin open. Check for doneness around an hour, depending on the exact size of your pumpkin, it will take about 1 hour 30 – 1 hour 50. You can check using a skewer.
5. Remove pumpkin and let cool before cutting slices or eating directly from the top! The pumpkin will be cooked through and nice and soft so you can eat it alongside the cake!
You can see more of me here: